About Mario Gabelli
Mario J. Gabelli is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GAMCO Investors, Inc., the firm he founded in 1977 that currently manages over $40 billion. A 1965 summa cum laude graduate of Fordham University’s College of Business Administration, he also holds an M.B.A. from Columbia University Graduate School of Business. He was Morningstar’s Portfolio Manager of the Year in 1997. He was named Money Manager of the Year by Institutional Investor for 2011 and is member of Barron’s All-Star Century Team .
The interview discusses:
- His decision to start his own firm in the 1970s despite a horrendous economic backdrop;
- His new book Merger Masters that he wrote with Kate Welling;
- The rationale behind taking his company public and whether he would do it again;
- His thoughts on portfolio construction including how many positions should be in a portfolio and how long it takes him to become fully invested for a new account;
- How he incorporates tax ramifications into his sell decisions;
- His strategy of what to do when a stock within his portfolio increases or decreases by a significant percentage in a short period of time;
- Who he believes could be the next John Malone;
- His thoughts on Discovery Communications, Madison Square Garden and Disney.
Available wherever you download podcasts
About The Boyar Family Of Companies
Boyar Asset Management
We have been managing money since 1983 utilizing our proprietary in-house value-oriented equity strategies. We manage money for high net worth individuals and institutions via separately managed accounts. To find out how we can help you with your money management needs please click here
Since 1975 we have been producing independent research on intrinsically undervalued companies across the market capitalization spectrum and in a wide variety of industries using a business person’s approach to stock market investing. To find out how we can help you with your research needs please click here
Disclaimer: This interview does not constitute a complete description of our investment services and is for informational purposes only. It is in no way a solicitation to buy or an offer to sell any securities or investment advisory services. Any statements regarding market or other financial information is obtained from sources which we believe to be reliable, but we do not warrant or guarantee the timeliness or accuracy of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results and there is no assurance that any targets or forward-looking statements will be attained. This interview represents the views of Boyar Asset Management as of April 24th 2019 and may change without notice. Boyar Asset Management may own shares in any of the companies discussed during the interview.